Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Removing Temptation - in my email

I plan on spending the rest of 2011 preparing myself for my year of no shopping.  To get started, today I am going to get into my email and unsubscribe from all of the little temptations that get in my inbox.

Do I really need an email each day from Zulily that shows me cute kids things "I can't live without"? Do I need Groupon? Every time I buy a Groupon, I get lots of grumbles from my hubby about the limitations of using it, and the expiration date.  Staples sends me an email almost every day, there are ton of other ones too, Macys, the local bowling alley, local restaurants, Fandango, the list goes on.

While I may get a discount by using one of these emails to my advantage, I end up spending money I wouldn't otherwise. I know how to type in www.zulily.com if I want to do some cute clothes shopping with a discount. I don't need their updates in my email every single day! Hopefully, by eliminating the constant onslaught of temptation, I'll have more strength to "just say no" when I'm walking in Target or the grocery store.

Maybe the constant "deal" and "discount" emails are wearing me down on a daily basis, that when I finally should say, "no, I'm not buying it", I've already used up my strength saying "no" every day to Motherwear, Expressiva, and Living Social. 

The other problem with all of these emails is that they remind me of all of the things I don't have, should, and should desperately want.  Even something simple like a Staples email makes me start to wonder, "Is our computer good enough? Is it as good as this one that's on sale this weekend? Would we benefit from spending $500 on another computer? Maybe we need two computers, then we both could work on them at the same time."  And you know by "work" I mean get on facebook.  We are constantly surrounded by temptation, excellent deals, and the idea that what we have isn't good enough.

Well, this is the time to say "NO, I don't want those emails anymore! I don't want junk I signed up for anymore! I don't care what your "deal" is I want MY money in MY pocket, and I don't need your stupid stuff! I'm unsubscribing to you!"

You can do it!
And... while you are doing it, why don't you subscribe to something positive, this blog, so you and I can support each other  through out 2012 to Save It, Don't Spend It!
You can also join us on facebook. 



No comments:

Post a Comment