Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy new year!

I've been traveling for Christmas and new years, we were hoping to return home today, but we'll still be in San Diego for a few more days due to fog and travel delays. I wanted to let you know, I've been very good about no spending this year. I've only bought some necessary groceries and some gas for the car. I've been thinking about parameters for this year, here's what I've come up with so far. In the beginning... I'm not going to worry about 1. our regular utilities and bills like that 2. How much I spend on groceries (but grocery store time is not an opportunity to spend frivolously) 3. Car gas 4. Weekly programmatic activities for me and the kids. (a music class for them, and ballet for me) I am going to focus on other types of variable spending and try to eliminate this other variable spending completely. This includes lunches out, coffee, snacks on the road, target trips to pickup a box of babywipes that turn into $100 receipts at the checkout, clothes for us and the kids, furniture or household things that arent necessary. I'm seeking to reduce our use of consumables like diapers, wipes, paper towels by using reusable cloth wipes and diapers, washable towels, napkins. We won't worry about toilet paper use however :). If we do end up needing or really wanting something, I'm going to try to find a free source for it first, like free cycle or borrowing from friends, if that doesn't work, then a really cheap source like our local thrift shop. I feel we can save a good chunk of money this way. I Have also decided that we are going to celebrate Holidays and birthdays happily, but modestly, as life is for living and enjoying. This past week we celebrated our daughters first birthday with a simple cake and family gathering which all together cost $6. A happy, modest celebration for a little girl that has brightened our lives. so, happy new year to you. I hope that yuca achieve all of your goals and that we can support and encourage each other My best!

2 comments:

  1. I actually use old baby wash clothes instead of TP...just for #1. I also use re-useable menstrual products--I use a cup and cloth panty liners, and my 13 year old daughter uses cloth pads.

    I've also used cloth napkins for years...they are just so much nicer than paper! You can sometimes find cloth napkins for low prices at thrift stores, or buy a table cloth, cut it up, and zig zag stitch the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn! We have a ton of cloth napkins we got for our wedding. I've now pulled them out of the pantry and they are on the counter.
    We have some reusable menstrual products, but I honestly have so many of the disposable ones from before my first was born, I'm still using them up! I have would love to get more, but that purchase may have to wait. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete