Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Reusing this week: plastic containers with lids

My husband and I were discussing buying new plastic storage containers from Target (on sale this week for $5) to store things in. These containers should help us keep the kids stuff neater. I would prefer to not spend-it, as you know, so I was thinking about solutions....

We recycle almost all plastic and paper that comes through our front door. I was washing an empty cherry tomato container when I realized that these containers didn't have to go straight to the recycling bin. We could reuse them first! They are the perfect size for little boy toys. 

I've been saving them, and the larger ones that spinach and mixed greens come in, and we'll re-purpose them for storage. 

My sister-in-law is a philosopher (really, she has a PhD and teaches it!) and she said one of her students did a paper on the 3Rs, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.  The conclusion of the paper was that while recycling is good, it should not be the primary mode of "Greenness" (my quotes, not hers). First we should try to REDUCE our consumption of things, and if we HAVE to purchase or consume something, then we should try to REUSE it, and when we have used it all the way up, we should then RECYCLE it. 

It is the perfect story for this blog. 2012 is my year of REDUCE, and when I do consume, I will try as much as I can to REUSE things before RECYCLING them.  See? By reusing, I may just be saving $5 or more that I could have spent at Target. 



No comments:

Post a Comment