Saturday, January 7, 2012

Week 1: blowing it already.

So this week was a bust for saving, not spending. It wasn't a great way to start the new year, but I know I can start over tomorrow for the following week. We spent two extra days on vacation, meaning two more days of rental cars, two more days of dinners out, snacks for the plane, yesterday was our daughter's birthday so we went out to eat, and today was my husband and I's 6th anniversary of marriage, also a cause for an expensive celebration.

However, when I look at my "payments" outside of allowable spending for the year 1. groceries 2. sanctioned celebrations (birthdays and anniversaries). I didn't do too bad. I went out for lunch one day, which was a huge stress reliever and welcome break. I spent $12. It was awesome to go out by myself. I didn't NEED to, but I did. I also spent $10 on disposable diapers because we were traveling and we were out of diapers. At home today, I switched back to cloth diapering, which I hope will help us save money in the long run.  The pack of $10 diapers is almost gone, and I'd like to ration them a little bit. 

So overall this week, I didn't meet my goals, but I only spent $12 of money that could have been saved instead. 

I'm watching my credit card bill, and will try to analyze it at the end of each week for usage. This is where I spend most of my money every month, using the great plastic dragon. I am hoping I can cut my CC bill in half, quickly, and then we can save that money that I'm not spending.  It is tricky to make the CC bill my indicator for spending. In the past I've done things like, "I'd like to drink less caffeine, so I'm not going to have any coffee this week." Instead I'll drink a ton of soda. Then a few months later, I'll say, "I'm drinking too much caffeine, I'm not going to have any soda." And then I'm back to drinking coffee.  I seriously use my CC for almost every purchase, and I solemnly promise NOT to use cash or my debit card instead.  The CC will be a good indicator as much as I can possibly allow it. 



So, that's my report for this week, my weigh-in so to speak... 

Weightwatchers works because of two reasons 1. every week there is a weigh in, and 2. there is a big meeting where you meet other people who are trying to achieve the same goals. you share ideas of how to get there.

That's my plan for this blog. Let's Save It, Don't Spend It! And meet our money goals together!

No comments:

Post a Comment